Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fat Six

This Sat was a bit different... it was a lot cooler at the start, but ended up warming up quite a bit and we initiated the new start order.  The RunWalk groups as a whole started a bit earlier because rather than wait for all the Run groups to leave first, we simultaneously started off by heading south through the alley.  Now RW5 was still the last group to start, but at least it wasn't as late as it usually is. I believe we will be doing this earlier start from now on.
PL Peggy warming up the group




 We started with about 30 folks and it was interesting because as we are sorting out the groups, quite a few folks are trying different pace groups, which I highly recommend, and it's good to see people taking advantage of it. This also means we're also getting folks from the faster groups also.
Jim watching out for us
  

We ended going over six miles, almost 6.5, and we did our usual 15min/mile pace, and afterwards we did the barefoot sand walk as our cool down, which is highly recommended.

 

My post run talk, was about how to play catch up. This could apply to many different situations. I'll have to miss next week's Sat. run, since I'll be out of town. So I'll definitely make sure I do my midweek workouts, and even though I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my full run in next weekend, I'll try to do something. This means I'll be playing catch up when I get back for the following Saturdays run. 
Heading Home

Now if I were a beginning runner, I would do my best to keep up and do the distance, but if I can't, then that's not a big deal.  What I would recommend is to do the best you can, maybe it may involve falling behind a bit, walking a bit more, and then see if by the following week I can do better.  We know each week it's going to be longer runs, but don't worry, it may take another week or so to really be back in the thick of the group.  This is what training is about.  Sometimes you just can't force things to happen, it takes time and training
Barefoot recovery in the sand

As we get further with our training, there will be instances when one has to use the restroom during the run.  There are restrooms along the course, but we generally will not wait for people, so you will have to play catch up, and the worse thing to do is to run like crazy to catch the group. This will really tire you out needlessly, so take your time and eventually you will catch the group, this could also happen during the actual marathon, so all this is good training, learning how to pace oneself.
PL Mary calls in the results

So keep up with the weekday training, and I'll do one more post before next weekend.
Walt

No comments:

Post a Comment