Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Primordial Ooze

I'm not one to dwell too much on hard luck and bad circumstances, but boy this week has really started off with a wrong step.  I actually hope I'm the only one going through some tough times, but maybe it's a bit more widespread.  It seems to have started after the weekend of the lunar eclipse.....good thing it doesn't come around too often.

In any case, lots of mishaps which started with a "must get there" shipment, which Fedex did not accomplish due to a plane malfunction.  This then led to a multiple series of phone calls, last minute changes, a few mistakes, lots of frustration, long days and nights, and a final hand delivery today. Ironically the non-delivery to New York ended up with a drop off in LA.  And then just when things were finally resolved, I got hit with yet another disappointment due to a mistake made on yet another project. Toughest week I've had in a long time.....and it's only Tuesday.

To put this in perspective...that being the only thing one can do it these situations....no one got injured, no life threatening situations, not even a bruise was sustained....only a lot of pride and a bit of money was lost.  Will I ever work in this town again...probably....will I get over this...of course...I'm just going to try and lay low for a few days.

Now I know that I'm still very fortunate, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few folks out there have it a lot worse, and this being the holiday season, that can really be difficult.  It's like having a bad trip to Hawaii....nothing like trouble in paradise...that really sucks....I know... cause I've had that happen too.


So today, when I did the special hand delivery, I found myself out near the La Brea Tar pits, and I decided I needed a little break from the craziness...I went into the park to look at the primordial ooze....just like it was so many years ago.  The tar and crude is still bubbling there, releasing natural gasses formed from the remains of a civilization long past gone.


  I just needed to take a break and it was good to see something so primal to remind me how infinitesimal our problems can be sometimes. The weird thing is that I crossed the street and there at the corner was all this crude oil bubbling up from the ground.....some DWP guys came by and started to deal with it, so it was interesting that in this day and age, the results of the past are literally still oozing out of the ground.  


One of the guys talked about how there use to be oil derricks throughout LA, but they are still pumping it out of the ground all along the Miracle Mile where we were.
Marina Del Rey

Echo Park

Huntington Beach

I'm not sure what all this means, or what this all adds up to....I just know it's been a while since I've had so many things go wrong in such a short time, but I also know that it's important to not let this stuff overwhelm me.  When things seem like they're out of control, that's when it's important to hunker down and not lose perspective.  I did a lot of apologizing and doing what was necessary to fix things right, and it was important to keep the communication channels open, and it was tough, but I still had to keep things positive.  It's about endurance, and I know I can do that....cuz I'm RW5...and that's we got going.

So as the holiday season comes on down....and if you just aren't feeling the holiday spirit...hang in there...times can me more difficult during these next few weeks, but know that you can keep it going...you can see it through...we're all RW5...and that means a lot.

take care and see you soon,

Walt

No comments:

Post a Comment