Friday, November 11, 2011

Even Dozen

Ballona Creek Bike Path
This Sat. we'll be going for 12 miles.  It just seems like it was only yesterday that we started this season and here we are already up to 12 miles.  Since we'll all be heading South, not sure if they'll let the RW groups start earlier by heading north first or not.  So don't be late just in case.

The good news is that the South course is all flat and that might make it a bit better since we only did 9 miles last week.  And at this point, it's hard to know what the weather will be like, so just to be safe, bring an extra set of dry clothes and leave that in your car for after the run.

Basically, we'll head South and just go 6 miles out, turn around and head back.  This will mean we'll get as far as Ballona creek, and basically the South route is always interesting, because we go through a variety of areas.

------------

This week, a bunch of stuff happened..,.mostly good, some even great. For me the main thing is that I'm a finalist for this job I've interviewed for and that interview is coming up on Monday.  This is for a teaching position at Santa Monica College.  Will give more updates as this unfolds.  So thanks for all the positive thoughts from last time, and I'll be needing a few more to help me through this next stage.

But the other good news, is that if you remember from an earlier post, I was able to get a few of my former students an interview for a job at an ad agency, and the woman who got the job, my former student, got it because I believed she had a much more interesting personality.  I just got a call from the producer at that agency, who did the hiring, is now telling me how much everyone is so loving her, and how well she is doing.  On top of that the other reason he called was to basically give me a commercial to cut, and this is after about a year and a half of no calls or no jobs from this producer.  Things happen in strange ways.

This brings me to the conversation I had with a young producer (28 ish) who asked me how did I balance my life and career, my decision to have kids, and whether that changed my outlook on my life and decisions I made at that time.  I'm not going to go into my entire answer here, since we'll have to be able to get up early for the Sat. run....but....I did answer her, and it did take a while, but what was more interesting to me was why did she want to know.  Basically, she was getting frustrated with trying to figure out her own career path, and at this moment, could not see a clear goal, and what she thought she had wanted to do....being a filmmaker....was being clouded by the "disingenuous"
people she had met in the business, and the struggles she was going through.  She related stories of how people she had dealt with all seemed to either be struggling or those who had jobs, had to work around the clock just to keep up, and perhaps not loving their jobs.

I wouldn't describe this person as being lazy, or not hard working, because she does work hard, I just basically told her, this is the way of the world.  We all struggle and we all have to work hard, and how I didn't always know my end goal, but basically I knew that I only wanted to work with good people...I really didn't care about the type of work per se, but more about the working environment.  Perhaps I was just fortunate, but I was able to pick and choose my way through my so called career, and if there was any clear goal was that I only wanted to work with good people and do good work.

I tell my students, never work for money, because then all you have is a job, work for the love of the art and craft of what you can create, and you'll have a career.

This is not to say I didn't have tough times or never worked for "disingenuous" people, I've had my share, but I made it a point to keep moving forward.  My only advice to her was that sometimes, it's okay not to have a clear vision, and that you have to try this and that till you formulate a better one, but the key is to keep moving forward, and to keep at it.

I feel we do have a say and we can plot our destiny, if anything, attributing things to fate is only an excuse, and then it's just a matter of figuring a work around, but to keep moving towards better things.  It's worked well for me so far.

So as we go and tackle this 12 miler, it's longer than we have ever gone, it's going to a place some of us have never been, but we know how we're going to do it, just keep moving forward, and I know we'll be doing it in the company of great people.

see you early,

Walt



No comments:

Post a Comment