Friday, September 23, 2011

Settling In

This Sat. we'll be adding just another half mile heading out, that's just about only 8 min. more, which translates to 2 miles out and a round trip of 4 miles total. For those who know the route, this is not quite to the SM ramp, but right at the bicycle rental booth.

It might be a bit cooler, with probably a bit of fog at the beach, which I always prefer to heat or humidity.  What is interesting about these early shorter runs, is my anticipation to get going and do more, but on the other hand these are the building blocks, our foundation to getting us conditioned for the longer runs.  It's really important in these early sessions to just focus on taking it easy and improving our breathing and increase our lung capacity, lowering the heart rate, and running efficiently.  This becomes critical down the road when we go for the long distances.  For those who have moved up a notch, be patient and learn that new rhythm, we all are just settling in.

This past week has been an interesting one, lots of ups and downs, new things happening, it's been a lesson in keeping on top of things and not freaking out too much.  I ran into a very old acquaintance which brought up a lot of mixed emotions, and not necessary good or bad, but definitely gave pause for thought and to think about how much or how little I've accomplished these past 30 years.  I had lunch with another good old friend, who after a few years of really bad finances and tough work situations finally will lose his home, and will still be struggling to meet the future. But then I was also able to reconnect with another old friend, who is doing much better.


So this is a time of turbulent change, both positive and not so positive, and it's in times like this, one has to be that much more focused and optimistic about one's own place within the storm.  I try to find a balance to be realistic, be proactive, and be calm.  That's when my morning runs become that more critical, I need them to get my breathing back, to get my mind cleared, and to get my soul back in a good place.  And that's when I need my Sat. runs to get lost with all the great folks and to run with the pack.


see you early,


Walt
Chet Baker


P.S.  Got into a blusey, bebop kind of mood with all the happenings with this week so I couldn't not think of Chet Baker and his music. His music translates for me the ache and pain of my soul and heart.
The documentary "Let's Get Lost" comes to mind, a great film by Bruce Weber, and the CD of the same title.  I did find this one performance of Chet, filmed in France about a year before his death. If you're in the mood, check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZK8TnDIe2w&feature=related


a clip from "Let's Get Lost" doc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alUSx_X_za8&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment